الصورة الرمزية مركوش

• بيانات مركوش
      رقم العضوية : 5
      عضو منذ : Jul 2008
      المشاركات : 2,471
      بمعدل : 0.43 يوميا
      معدل تقييم المستوى : 40
      التقييم : Array

2. Bill Blank nominated this stunning Celtic Stater. A stylistic gem! Somewhere between cave art and Picasso there was a Celtic engraver who should be honored among the best artists ever known. Makes me wonder if they had discovered a halucinogen that also improved eyesight. remarkable.

Update - 2013. Mitresh Singh submitted several coins from India/Kush area. I chose 2 to add. The first is on my to-get list. The Kushan king Kanishka is depicted on the obverse sacrificing at an altar. the reverse has Helios. Both sides have Greek in******ions showing the continued influence they had even during the time of Hadrian when this coin was minted (127 C.E.)

2013 update. Mitresh's 2nd coin is from the Deccan Sultanate from AH 726 (1326 C.E.). Beautiful caligraphy, as is often the case on Muslim coins.

This is my selection and it is more about the specific coin than the coin type. This is a coin from a recent CNG auction. It is a tetradrachm of Magnesia ad Maeandrum in Ionia. Maybe it is the face of artemis on the beveled flan, or the nonchalant pose of Apollo on the reverse. I can't put my finger on it but this coin really impressed me! Of course, then there is...

Picture courtesy of CNG

Alexander the Great lifetime gold
    stater from Abydos was nominated by Reid Goldsborough. The obverse depicts a strong and beautiful Athena, goddess of wisdom and warfare, the reverse Nike, goddess of victory, with stunning body-length wings. Reid adds: "As with all ancient gold, this coin is intrinsically radiant, speaking with a bright voice about how humankind through the ages has prized this ****l above all others.

The classic Athens Tetradrachms were well respected in their day. Heather Howard. nominated the new style version as one of her favorites. Great detail, ornate helmet, and owl staring you in the eyes makes this a classic.

Beautiful stater of Lokris nominated by Jim Gossett. This has a beautiful portrait with an action reverse featuring Ajax. Persephone is on the obverse.

The coins of Syracuse have been traditionally regarded as the pinnacle of the celator's art. The compostion of this 16 Litrae coin of Hieron II is superb.

Hannes Mayer voted for the Lokris stater and felt this Baktrian coin of Antimachos I represents one of the best male portraitures.

Another great male portrait of Pergamon representing Philetairos, the treasurer for the king, was nominated by Dewey Maggard. One almost wants to touch the skin, it seems so real. How did they
    capture the skin ****ure like that??

Harry Stewart wants the Romans to get their due. The stunning portrait amidst a patina that highlights Caligula's feature make this coin special.

And from the later Roman period, comes this Licinius II ® 19 from Gar Travis. Great color and composition. Helmets and armor do add nice structure to a coin's look.

And, the Licinius family makes it again with this ® of Licinius II contibuted by Scott Uhrick. Great myth scene on reverse and excellent portrait on obverse. BTW this is from an uncleaned lot!

There is beautiful reverse detail on this coin submitted by Andrei Gandila of Romania. A rare procopius with a fascinating reverse.

Edgar Owen votes for a Tetradrachm of Myrina. These coins were also noted by Wayne Sales as an example of the best consttructed/balanced coins in his series of books. Beautiful!

From Cyprus, Dr. Gyula Petranyi
    proposed the Dyrrhachian Stater. On his siteconcerning these coins, I learned a lot about the history and mystery of these coins. Sometimes you need the background to full appreciate the art.

Harry Stewart has a soft spot for the coins of Maroneia. This stallion prancing and grapes in incuse on the reverse is a classic beauty. I have to get someone to nominate a Sicilo-Punic with the horse looking back.

مركوش غير متواجد حالياً
    رد مع اقتباس
  3. تكبير الخط تصغير الخط
    بتاريخ : 16-07-2016 الساعة : 06:44 PM رقم #2
    كاتب الموضوع : مركوش

شاملى ماسى

الصورة الرمزية ترنيم

• بيانات ترنيم
      رقم العضوية : 19673
      عضو منذ : Sep 2012
      المشاركات : 1,989
      بمعدل : 0.47 يوميا
      معدل تقييم المستوى : 31

4. many thanks for the good article

ترنيم غير متواجد حالياً
    رد مع اقتباس
  5. تكبير الخط تصغير الخط
    بتاريخ : 17-07-2016 الساعة : 06:05 AM رقم #3
    كاتب الموضوع : مركوش

مراقب

الصورة الرمزية شكرى

• بيانات شكرى
      رقم العضوية : 51
      عضو منذ : Jul 2008
      المشاركات : 2,372
      بمعدل : 0.41 يوميا
      معدل تقييم المستوى : 39

6. Thank you for your subject values

شكرى غير متواجد حالياً
    رد مع اقتباس

معلومات الموضوع

الأعضاء الذين يشاهدون هذا الموضوع

الذين يشاهدون الموضوع الآن: 1 (0 من الأعضاء و 1 زائر)

المفضلات

المفضلات

ضوابط المشاركة

• لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
  • لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
  • لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
  • لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك